|Even just 5 minutes a day can change your |
mental acuity and physical wellness.
Body, Mind And Soul.
What good is having a blog during a Leap Year if you don't post on February 29th? Therefore, I'm taking today to address a key part of Natural Wellness: Meditation. I'm keeping this post short and sweet, so let's get going.
Finding time to consciously relax your mind and body on a daily basis is imperative to wellness. Science backs me up. Google it, you'll see. The benefits vary from hormonal balance to a more focused frame of mind. I have to say that this is one of the most important pillars to my Natural Wellness foundation.
I have several meditations posted throughout the site. Check them out. Thanks to YouTube, each video is the doorway to many, many more. So, explore, experiment and find what works best for you.
Meditation is as simple as taking a deep breath and releasing your daily pressures. After years of practicing meditation with various teachers and guides, I have found that this is what works best for me:
- Create a space where you can sit, or lie down, undisturbed for at least five minutes.
- Sit or lie down in this quiet, personal space.
- Close your eyes.
- Place your hands on your abdomen.
- Take a deep breath, inhale all the way down to your abdomen for at least six counts.
- Hold the breath for at least four counts.
- Exhale over six counts at least, preferably eight.
- Repeat this breathing exercise a few times feeling the rise and fall of your abdomen under your hands.
- Feel the softness of your abdomen as it continues to rise and fall.
- Observe the feelings of relaxation which follow.
- Allow your mind to become quiet.
- Visualize all thoughts and concerns drifting away one by one.
- If a thought pops in your head and doesn't want to leave ~ visualize yourself asking it to leave and showing it the door.
- Let yourself go and allow the Universe to fill you.
Hold on to this feeling as long as possible. The more you meditate the longer you will be able to meditate. As you practice, you will find it easier to sit in this relaxed and open space. Once your mind is open is when you practice vibrating with what you desire, or reciting prayers and affirmations to align with what you want.
I've promised to leave the details behind my Natural Wellness series up to the experts. I just don't have time right now to delve into an essay on these topics and who better to teach my readers about wellness and meditation than Dr. Deepak Chopra.
I can say from experience that daily meditation leads to a more balanced and focused life. I work with emotionally explosive teenagers. People always tell me they don't know how I do it. I joke and tell them that eleven years of customer service got me ready. But the reality is my Wellness foundation is a bigger part of how I do it (also, right now, I'm passionate about it, as it's the most rewarding work I've ever done). Granted, customer service taught me to listen to what people are saying and not how they say it, but taking time in the morning to center myself emotionally, mentally and physically is how I settle into the eye of the hurricane at work. After a stressful day, physically challenging myself helps immensely as well. I get aggressions out and strengthen my self physically, and therefore, emotionally, for the next day. So, maybe that's what makes me an expert on the whole subject of Natural Wellness. I really do "walk my talk" ;)