|The apple harvest lasts into November. So many wonderful dishes to be made.|
Lots Of Local Apples!
I simply love the apple harvest. The prices can't be beat for apples this time of year. They add a sweetness to any dish you may be preparing, they are loaded with fiber and are my "beat the sugar craving" secret weapon, not to mention the best appetite suppressant around. I'm not the only one who goes crazy over apples. A town near here has an apple butter festival every year to celebrate the abundance of "apple-ee" goodness. Here are some of my favorite ways to use apples:
Not quite a fruit salad, this is one of my favorite ways to get my fruits and vegetables:
- Chop and dice apples, oranges, pears ~ whatever you have available
- Add it to your favorite greens and veggies
- Top with a sweet dressing
- I actually prefer just a bit of balsamic vinegar
- Toss and enjoy!
Better Than Instant Oatmeal
I had a revelation one day while heating up some instant apple and cinnamon flavored oatmeal. This is healthier, more whole, more sustainable, easier on the wallet and will keep you so full you'll forget to eat lunch.
- Add cinnamon, honey, butter and a touch of salt to the water you are boiling for your oatmeal
- While you are waiting for the oatmeal to soak up all that flavorful water ~chop up an apple into bite size pieces (add some walnuts or pecans if you'd like)
- Add oatmeal to the apples, stir and gobble it up!
Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Bars
My first real cookbook teaser. You're going to have to buy the book to get this recipe. I developed these bars all on my own. It's like a bowl of oatmeal in a bar, and then some. More than a cookie bar, this heavy breakfast bar is full of lots of protein and whole, natural ingredients that will energize your body and nourish your soul.
Apples are pureed as part of the wet ingredients and chunks of apple are added at the end. Just like the bowl of oatmeal, one of these in the morning will keep you full past lunch!
Just Eat 'Em!
Ultimately, my favorite way to enjoy apples is to slice them up and eat them.
Really, you can't go wrong. Best snack ever!
P.S. Don't forget! Free Tarot Readings during September. Make sure you have signed up for my email list, below, to be eligible to win one of four free Personal Insight Readings!