Someone asked me the other day how I have the time to do things like create courses, run a Facebook Group, keep my blog going, network and market, while also working, looking after my parents and taking care of my home.
OK, I don't have children. This is a biggie that I know will cause most of you to skip on to the next blog in your feed, but if you hear me out, you will hopefully be inspired to find ways to create more time in your day, based on how your life unfolds.
I sat down and looked at all of the things I do a bit differently than the people around me, and realized that I have managed to carve over 10 hours a week out of my schedule, just by thinking outside the box a bit.
Theses are the biggies, and boy, do they pack a wallop!
HOW I CREATED 10 MORE HOURS FOR THE WEEK:
- Batch it: I am more productive when I batch my tasks, for example:
- I compose all of my posts for the Brilliant Blogging, Facebook group posts on Sundays, in about 10 min, which frees up at least 45 minutes in my week because it takes me at least 15 minutes a day when I try to do them daily.
- I will write several blog posts at a time, which saves me hours! Allowing it all to flow in one day means I will have posts for a couple of months, instead of trying to force the posts weekly, which doubles the amount of time.
- I schedule Tweets and Facebook posts in advance. This saves me a good 20 minutes a day.
- Windows 10: I have discovered some perks in the new Windows 10 upgrade. I have synced all my email and use the calendar. I used to spend 25 minutes or more, a day, checking all my email accounts. Now, all I have to do is point and click and I am finished in about five minutes!
- Cooking in advance: A couple years ago I shared the sloppy copy of my cookbook, which I am currently turning into a class. One of the main ideas I try to convey is that you have the time to create healthy, economical meals. All it takes is a little multitasking. While I am doing other things, I have chicken, beans and rice cooking. I'll also make a soup or some chili and take a couple of minutes to prep veggies for the week. This saves a couple of hours over the week.
- Dishes: In my house, we have only one dish, eating utensil and cup per person. This saves at least 30 min over the course of a week when it comes to doing the dishes.
- Laundry: We stick with the same color scheme for all of our clothes, underwear and socks included. As a result, I don't need to spend a lot of time sorting . No one expects me to sort or fold the underwear and socks and put them away. Same goes for the towels; they all stay in the laundry tubs. Our actual clothing is the only thing I fold and hang up. This saves me about 30 minutes a week.
- Get your clothes ready the night before: This saves at least 10 minutes a day - 50 over the course of a week.
- Load the coffee pot the night before: Because it always takes longer in the morning when you are half asleep. This saves 5 min a day, 25 min a week!
When I am "Riding the Wild Donkey" (as Leonie Dawson likes to say), going to town on whatever project I may be inspired to create - yes, it can get a little, what I like to call "Frat Housey" over here. The basics are tended to, but the place does get pretty cluttered.
And, that is the one choice I can make that someone who's raising kids can not. So the kitchen floor doesn't get mopped for a couple of weeks. When I am in the zone, the kitchen barely gets used anyway. Plus, I don't have any little ones crawling around. I can make that choice.
Finally, I am never afraid to stop or adjust.
Recently, I created more time for my creative projects by letting everyone know that I would only be posting here at SacredCyberSpace.com, four times a month, until the end of the year.
What a weight that lifted!
And it created a flood of time that I did not have before.
So cool ;)
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?
So, what are you going to do to create more time in your life?
Get out your favorite notebook and pen.
Find a quiet space and take a few minutes to step back and take a look at how you are spending your time.
Then see if you can't find at least an extra hour in your week.
I can't wait to hear how you will create more time for your dreams.